CDA (PICS please)

Tim Kambitsch KAMBITSCH at DAYTON.LIB.OH.US
Sun Jun 29 13:52:57 EDT 1997

Mark Ellis <mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca> writes:

>Third party ratings bureaus also exist. Tim Kambitsch in Dayton OH has
>created an experimental one for library use.  See:
>http://pics.dayton.lib.oh.us/pics/orc.html  (seems to be down at this
>writing)

Yep, its down at the moment. I set this server is just a spare
PC in the corner of my office. I loaded some new software on Friday
and forgot to restart the PICS label server before I left. ;-o
I'll restart it Monday morning.

Its interesting that from analyzing the logs from this experimental
server, that approximately 200 people have visited it and downloaded
the necessary PICS ratings file (ORC.RAT), however, not one user has
tried using the experimental rating bureau.

This bureau has only about 5200 URLs in its database.  To get around
having to make value decisions abut whether a site is innappropriate
for my intended users (minors under the age of 18), or worse, having
a "third party" making those value decisions, the database is intended
to contain only those sites, that have informally or formally, labeled
their content as for adults only.

Tim