Consciousness of disinformation (a follow-up)

Clifford Urr curr at smtpinet.aspensys.com
Fri Jun 27 12:36:34 EDT 1997

     Robert, you said:

>First, you both are approaching this issue without much consideration.
>We're talking libraries, not bookstores; big difference.  One develops
>collections and assembles informative materials, the latter tries to sell
>you everything and anything, caring little or nothing at all for you.

Only partly true, and bookstores are becoming more "caring" (look at the
Amazon site on the web), and, let's face it, most libraries have lots of
their share of crap and propaganda and significant omissions no matter how
find-tuned their collection development policies are. This surely is due to
the fact that library collection development policies and practice are not
immune to the coopting and influence exerted by special interest groups and
corporate info monopolies and "expert clubs" (e.g., MDs or lawyers), a fact
Rageboy implies or alludes to. (I also think his main point is that
disinformation can come from "official sources," not just unofficial ones,
and that dammit, *good information CAN come from UNOFFICIAL sources* - a
key point. From a librarian standpoint, we librarians have indeed been for
the people as regards our users; we should also be "for the people" as
regards our sources, and not just the official ones. The latter has been
our historical tendency, and we have also not been skeptical enough of the
latter ones.)

Public libraries, for example, have to contend with board members from
"official" groups. Also, I once worked in a university medical schoool
library to which someone I knew wanted to donate - for free - a rare and
valuable collection of homeopathic medicine texts, much of which would have
cost big bucks on the rare books market. They weren't interested, a
decision that came down not from library admin. but from the highest levels
of the school's administration. Case studies on how this sort of baloney
happens everyday to or in libraries would make a hell of a PHd dissertation
or a series of articles in "Libary Journal." (Yo Mr. Berry, are you
listening?)