Damage caused by Hand-held scanners

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 10:50:23 EDT 1997

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Daniel Albano (1) wrote:
> 	Using flash is probably a bad idea.  With the copy
> 	stand you can use longer exposures if needed.

After attending Recognition Technology 97 yesterday where a British
Library chap explained alot about how they have gone about digitising
archive material, can I point out that you should use cold lighting rather
than normal hot photographic lights if the archive material is sensitive
to temperature.  This was something that he mentioned in his talk as the
BL had used hot lights which the archivists had only allowed them to have
on for a very short period of time, making digitising large amounts of
material very time consuming.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll