CDA

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Fri Jun 27 10:37:53 EDT 1997

At 09:11 PM 6/26/97 -0700, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:
>David, for several weeks now I've heard you and Ronnie argue strongly (on
>the FILT4LIB list) in favor of the the implementation of filtering software
>without particular regard for what was filtered. Ronnie also argued that
>librarians should select which materials are appropriate for patrons
>outside the issue of pornography/obscenity (his example: a librarian's
>obligation to exclude books claiming that the earth is flat).

That was simply a point I was trying to make.  It would, IN FACT, be absurd
for you to include that book in your collection, as I tried to point out.
And, since you would not inlude *that* book, there is no reason why you
can't exclude porn on the internet.  The point was also to point out the
fact the your collection development policy is HIGHLY relevant when we are
talking about the internet.

>The fact that you're dismissive of the first amendment and the library bill
>of rights may not make you an "evil censor, collaborator, dupe" or whatever
>label you choose to toss into the fray, but you're certainly not supportive
>of a citizen's right to expect unfiltered information from a library.
>
>As for this supposed character assassination, if you or Ronnie would prefer
>to be characterized as supportive of free speech, then I suggest that you
>support free speech. I never heard you say once in your many messages to
>FILT4LIB that you are a free speech advocate...this would be news to me.

But we haven't said we were against it.  I **AM** a free speech advocate,
but I am **NOT** a porn pusher advocate, as some of you seem to be.

Ronnie