CDA

Albert Lunde Albert-Lunde at nwu.edu
Fri Jun 27 00:19:26 EDT 1997

> The CDA will most likely be modified to deal with the freedom of speech
> issue.  And I'm beginning to see why "freedom of speech" is even an issue.
> It appears that the arguement is, if an adult is accidently banned from a
> particular site because they were unable to prove that they were an adult,
> then that persons "freedom of speech" is being stomped on (to paraphase, of
> course).

I'd assume this is an infringement of "freedom of speech" for the
site's author/publisher, not the reader.

This is related in the decision to the whole issue of non-profit groups
wanting to distribute controversial information (and thus not asking
for credit cards as proof of age ... the loophole in the
CDA which would protect commercial pornography vendors.)

---
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde at nwu.edu