CDA

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Thu Jun 26 23:58:00 EDT 1997

Jon Lebkowsky wrote:

>David, for several weeks now I've heard you and Ronnie argue strongly
(on
>the FILT4LIB list) in favor of the the implementation of filtering
software
>without particular regard for what was filtered.

That's an unfair generalization.  I've frequently mentioned that
libraries should turn off keyword blocking, not block sites that they
wouldn't block in other formats, etc.  I think I've shown a great deal
of "regard to what was filtered".

>Ronnie also argued that librarians should select which materials are
appropriate for >patrons outside the issue of pornography/obscenity (his
example: a librarian's
>obligation to exclude books claiming that the earth is flat).

If you believe that filtering is most akin to non-selection, it could
certainly be logically consistant to extend filtering to other areas
outside of pornography, just as there are books you don't select which
aren't pornographic.

>The fact that you're dismissive of the first amendment and the library
bill
>of rights may not make you an "evil censor, collaborator, dupe" or
whatever
>label you choose to toss into the fray, but you're certainly not
supportive
>of a citizen's right to expect unfiltered information from a library.

Again, you unfairly misrepresent what I said.  I do not "dismiss the
first amendment", I just don't like seeing it abused.  Claiming that
librarians have a constitutional mandate to provide pornography at tax
payer expense  is clearly an abuse of the first amendment.

>As for this supposed character assassination, if you or Ronnie would
prefer
>to be characterized as supportive of free speech, then I suggest that
you
>support free speech. I never heard you say once in your many messages
>FILT4LIB that you are a free speech advocate...this would be news to
me.

You seem to have missed my point entirely.  You seem to think that
"support for free speech" is an all-or-nothing proposition, that people
who oppose pornography in libraries are "against free speech".  You are
talking about a specific category of speech that is a controversial grey
area.  Not everyone agrees with you.  I think that if I were denouncing
a well-established, commonly-held aspect of "free speech", such as
handing out a handbill denouncing the government, you would have a
point.  But I'm, not, I'm taking a stand on a controversial issue, which
happens to be different than yours.

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us