Controlling patron internet access time

Sue Debenham sdebenha at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Thu Jun 26 18:03:27 EDT 1997

Hello.  My name is Susan and I am librarian working for the North York
Public Library in North York, Ontario.  We have a user education training
room with 10 internet terminals.  When we are not holding classes we open
the room to the public and ask that people please limit their time to one
hour per day.  What we are finding is that people will stay on the
internet terminals for two or three hours at a time.  I am very
interested in hearing how other libraries have managed to control time
limits for patrons on internet terminals.  At the moment we have five
other internet terminals in our public area that require sign-up sheets
and some staff monitoring.  Has anyone found a software or programming
solution to this dilema that would have the terminal/Netscape shut off after
one hour so that others may have a turn?  We are using Windows NT 3.51
and Netscape 3.0.   Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Susan

Susan Debenham 		                      sdebenha at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Central Library                	              +1 416 395-5617

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."