JavaScript vs. Server-Side Includes

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jun 26 16:19:07 EDT 1997

>Recently Sam Khosh-khui posted a question about using
>JavaScript to automatically generate the last-modified date
>for inclusion in web pages.  Christopher Lock responded
>with a few tips and mentioned that he wanted to use
>JavaScript to replace the similar SSI technique.  Chris
>mentioned that the SSI technique "entails a nontrivial
>performance hit on the server."

Non-trivial hit on the server, non-trivial hit on the client... Let us bow
our heads and mumble some phrases that the CDA would have covered, over the
contortions we're willing endure, all to make browsers cough up a bit of
information they already have:

olc2.wright.edu> telnet www.ohiolink.edu 80
Trying 130.108.120.21...
Connected to olc2.OHIOLINK.edu.