online system switch

Ruth Ann ahern at russell.connix.com
Thu Jun 26 00:47:25 EDT 1997

Let me start by apologizing for such a long post, please direct responses
to my email address, which is ahern at russell.connix.com

The Libraries Online (LION) consortium, based in Connecticut, comprised of
mostly public libraries with a few community colleges and one  special
library included, is currently debating a move from our current Dynix
system to either a CARL system or Innovative Interfaces (III). We could use
some input from libraries that have either gone through a similar
transition or are already CARL or III sites. As a reference librarian, I
have questions that are mainly from a public services point of view. Other
people on our "exploration committee" are looking at circulation, technical
services, etc. aspects. I would appreciate responses to the following
questions and/or general impressions. Thank you for your time.

1.If you have gone through a migration to CARL or III, how smoothly did the
process go? Any unexpected delays or surprises (good or bad).

2.What frustrates you about the PAC? What do you really like about it?

3.What do you have to keep telling or instructing your patrons about over
and over? Can people walk up to a terminal and easily figure out how to get
started?

4.Do your questions/problems get answered by the vendor or its representatives?

5.Are there hidden commands that make searching complicated?

6.Do all of the promised features work?

7.Are the menus clear, cluttered, what?

8.Does the PAC link you to other systems/libraries?

9.Are there added services on your PAC, such as magazine indexes, reference
works and such, are they useful, searched in the same way, etc?

10.Are upgrades difficult, on time, etc.?  Has there been a great deal of
downtime?

11.Do children use the same interface, or is there a special kids catalog?
Do younger users have any difficulties using the system?

12.How is the indexing? Are there duplicate records that appear? Are see
and see also references used?

13.How complicated is seraching. Can you use boolean logic, author/title
combinations, fuzzy logic, etc?

14. How is the online help, do you also provide print help sources, and are
these really necessary?

15. Do any of you have adaptive terminals for the disabled, such are for
blind or deaf users, describe what you have and the type of use that they
get?

You get my drift, I am sure. Thanks once again.

Cathy Ahern
Russell (Public) Library
123 Broad St.
Middletown, CT 06457