selecting a search engine for a library web site

Laura Guy guy at ssc.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 25 17:45:12 EDT 1997

hi.

its been over a year since i messed with the index server business --
not that its a BIG excuse -- but i dont quite recall the security
considerations other than (if memory serves me) the indexer ran as
the I_USR account and required that I_USR have write access to some
scripting directories.

in fact, i dug up an old FAQ page:

"Note that the html doc root, cgi-bin, and EWS install home directory
need to be readable and writable by the user id that your web
server software runs as".

"Also, you may have to configure your web server software to allow
read/write access to all of the EWS related directories as well".

this disturbed me greatly.  that, along with the fact that the
MS index server was even EASIER to run (im a librarian not a systems
administrator) i made the choice to go with it rather than excite.

laura guy
dpls

guy at dpls.dacc.wisc.edu
http://dpls.dacc.wisc.edu