Desired Associations with MARC Records

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Wed Jun 25 11:27:04 EDT 1997

 _Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in MARC Databases / PT II_

    A recent posting in response to my posting on research
relating to the application of Data Mining and Knowledge
Discovery in Databases (KDD) expressed a desire of an association
with a record many would consider true DM or KDD. This desire
use of MARC record data, presents a view on Data Mining and
Knowledge Discovery in Databases for MARC records that I
believe is extremely important, and has inspired [Yes, inspired]
me to think more broadly about the concept of Data Mining and KDD.

    In addition to any useful 'hidden' associations within
a MARC record for a segment of a MARC database or an entire
OPAC catalog, I believe that it is important to be well-aware
of the kinds of associations within a record that a user [or
librarian] may consider useful that have not yet been made available
in current systems.

    Ray Larson, among many others, has identified many useful
associations that might enhance retrieval and display of records
within an OPAC. His, as well as other, views on enhanced OPAC
associations can be found in the excellent review article from
_Advances in Librarianship_ that I have hotlinked in the
General Bibliography section of my Onion Patch(sm) at

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Onion.htm

    Thus [:->], I would very much appreciate learning about
other Desired Associations with MARC records that others
consider potentially useful that are not yet available or
implemented in commercial systems.

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)