selecting a search engine for a library web site

Jian Liu jiliu at script.lib.indiana.edu
Tue Jun 24 15:50:49 EDT 1997

> At 07:42 AM 6/24/97 -0700, Elizabeth L. Blakely wrote:
> >
> >I am leading efforts to select a new engine for our organizations web
> >site.  JEFFLINE [URL:jeffline.tju.edu] currently uses WAIS.  I have
> >checked the Web4Lib archives and found little on selecting a search
> >engine, most of the materials I found were evaluating search engines such
> >as LYCOS, InfoSeek, etc.

Here at Indiana University, we use Isearch by CNIDR
http://vinca.cnidr.org/software/software.html

It is free and supports fielded searches. Take a look at:
http://www.indiana.edu/~libref/refcat/
http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/searchonline.html

two of the many databases I developed using Isearch. The first one
is one huge file with more than 12,000 records. The second is directory
of more than 1200 individual files.

Jian
Indiana University Libraries