Dertouzos on future libraries

Michael Iorns iorns at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Jun 19 18:10:24 EDT 1997

At 10:00 19/06/97 -0700, sbero wrote:

[*.*]

>Bill Drew, I understand the solution provided by the Z39.50 protocol in
>searching, say, bibliographic databases within the client/server
>architecture of the Internet.  I can't see that protocol as a practical
>application to various locally networked CD-ROMs, which I read as an
>important point of Joe's and Diane Lewis's rant.

Many CD-ROm db's use z39.50 compliant data structures. We are looking at
using single interface search software with our locally networked CD-roms,
which are provided using the client-server architecture of the campus Lan.
Previously we used a DEC infoserver which physically contained all the
CD's, now I copy them onto shared NT volumes. We are considering making
cd-rom databases available campus wide to staff & graduate machines. I
think the best option is to allow the users the choice of using the CD's
own software, to which customers are accustomed, or of using whatever
system eventually is adopted as standard.

The software may be web-based.

               Michael Iorns|Private Bag 3105|iorns at waikato.ac.nz
Computing Support Consultant|    Hamilton    |Ph(64)7 838-4466x6737
  Waikato University Library|  New Zealand   |Fx  " " 838-4017