Rageboy on Intranets

Christopher Locke clocke at panix.com
Thu Jun 19 12:06:48 EDT 1997

At 10:08 AM 6/19/97 EST, Clifford Urr <curr at smtpinet.aspensys.com> wrote:
>     For those who have not encountered him or his writings, Chris Locke
>     (aka "Rageboy") has some very, very interesting things to say about
>     many facets of IT and the Internet that I think would strongly
>     resonate with librarians doing web work. Below is a recent copy of his
>     newsletter...

[snip]

wow, I am floored that Cliff posted this, and hope none of you
were too offended by my flagrant breaches of the Communications
Decency Act.  In fact, I've already received a flood of new
subscriptions to Entropy Gradient Reversals from readers of this
list.  many thanks.

Some of my more... uh, serious work relating to online document
management and librarians can be found at my "other" site:

   http://www.panix.com/~clocke

I wrote many such "serious" articles until I realized no one
really gave much of a crap.  EGR represented my decision to say
the same sorts of things, but more in the vein of, say, a Howard
Stern (not that I'm a fan, particularly).  The web-shock-jock
approach has been far more effective, as today EGR has over 1200
enthusiastic subscribers.  Many online professionals seem to
recognize their own condition well reflected in RageBoy's
utterly unreasonable rhetoric.

anyway, some pointers to some non-EGR pieces I thought y'all
might find of interest:

    Nets and Mirrors: How the Internet Both Affects and Reflects the
    Global Economy
       (deja vu all over again -- a talk at The Aspen Institute, October 1995)
       http://www.panix.com/~clocke/mirrors.html

    Common Sense or Superior Ignorance?
       (an article in IEEE Expert slamming AI and natural language
       processing as a replacement for human intelligence in matters
       linguistic - 1990)
       http://www.panix.com/~clocke/ieee.html

    Making Knowledge Pay
       (SGML/internet cover story in BYTE, June 1992)
       http://www.panix.com/~clocke/whoknows.html

    The Dark Side of Document Image Processing
       (another BYTE article that argued the value of librarians over
       expert systems)
       http://www.panix.com/~clocke/darkside.html

again, thanks for your interest (where applicable) in my twisted
info-anarchist agenda.  ;-)

best

chris (a.k.a. RageBoy)

                        Entropy Gradient Reversals