Rageboy on Intranets

Clifford Urr curr at smtpinet.aspensys.com
Thu Jun 19 11:08:31 EDT 1997

     For those who have not encountered him or his writings, Chris Locke
     (aka "Rageboy") has some very, very interesting things to say about
     many facets of IT and the Internet that I think would strongly
     resonate with librarians doing web work. Below is a recent copy of his
     newsletter, including an interview he did in which he says some
     interesting things about Intranets. Although below he refers to
     business organizations, I think most or all of what he says applies to
     all organizations. His writing style in his newsletter may strike some
     as a bit strong, sarcastic or profane - but don't let that bother you,
     if it does, as its just his way of making his points. His many other -
     and more conventional - writings are as straight-forward as anything
     you'd find in Business Week (only a lot more interesting). Enjoy!
     (Disclaimer: Chris is a good friend, but he didn't ask me to show this
     to anyone.)

     Cliff Urr, Senior Manager, Information Services
     Aspen Systems
     2277 Research Blvd. MS-2A
     Rockville, MD 2050
     1-301-519-5828
     curr at aspensys.com

     From:          Christopher Locke <clocke at panix.com>
     Subject:       EGR Special - Firewall My Ass!

     ENTROPY
     GRADIENT
     REVERSALS

     All Noise - All the Time

     Firewall My Ass!

     So here's what happened. We were going to do a new edition today.
     Honest. Then RageBoy came bursting in and shoved us off the terminal.
     He likes the new Pentium II 266 a lot it seems. And he was all excited
     about this new book, as you'll see below. He got his name in print
     somewhere other than some 9th-rate website and he was nearly wetting
     his pants with joy. He even stuck a big ad banner at the top of the
     EGR homepage, then went to Amazon.com and posted a book review posing
     as an IS Professional. Pathetic really.

     Still, this particular episode of mania seemed less potentially
     injurious to the Fabric of Society than yet another extended reminisce
     about his acid days, so we let him run with it. Since this thing is
     full of ugly URLs, you could do yourself a real favor right now by
     bailing out of mail and hitting:

     http://www.panix.com/~clocke/EGR/intranets.html

     Much prettier. And while you're at it, check out the front page. We
     just hit 1200 subscribers (whoopee).  Also, be sure to click the
     embedded sound control -- near all that Free Speech crap -- for a
     Special Message from the Religious Right to all 1200 of you Heathen
     Hosers.

     Without further ado then, and for what it's worth, here's RB blowing
     his own horn one more time...

     Intranets: What's the Bottom Line?                             [book
     cover]

     by Randy J. Hinrichs
     Published by Prentice Hall and Sun Microsystems Press

     Available from Amazon.com Books
     http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0138411980/3230-2564917-166554

     Prentice Hall blurb
     http://www.prenhall.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0138411980.html

     Sun Microsystems Press blurb (much better)
     http://www.sun.com/books/books/Hinrichs/Hinrichs.html

     Table of Contents
     http://www.sun.com/books/books/Hinrichs/TOC.html

     Selected Quotes from the Book...