Dertouzos on future libraries

Bill Drew drewwe at morrisville.edu
Thu Jun 19 09:29:37 EDT 1997

Diane Lewis wrote:

> IMHO, Joe Shallen is right on target here.  I've been ranting for
> several years now about the hoops library patrons must jump through to
> use our computer systems.
>
> In my private persona, I refuse to use any library's system other than our own
> to find materials.  Just trot myself back to the general area in the
> stacks and browse.  And I speak as someone who's been professionally
> involved in three system conversions and uses an integrated library system,
> OCLC, and a standalone LAN  system everyday.  I just don't need any
> more frustration, much less in my leisure time.
>
> I concur also with Joe's statement that the solution lies in
> standardization.  Moreover, concentration should be on ease of user
> access, with module integration and the various bells and whistles
> taking second place.

NO!!! NO!!!  The solution is not standardization in having a common
interface to all systems.  The solution is in using full implementation
of Z39.50 for all systems.  That will allow each library (and possibly
each user) to provide a common interface to all of their systems.  It
allows multiple levels of searching capabilities from the simplest key
word searching to full boolean with limiters and such.

Yes, concentration should be on the ease of use by the user but that
doesn't negate the implementation of "bells and whistles" used by
so-called power users.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm