E-mail Clients

Jeff Cottingham cottij02 at msumusik.mursuky.edu
Wed Jun 18 16:42:45 EDT 1997

Yes, IMAP4 is great, but you must have an email account on an IMAP4 server
in order to reap the advantages of an IMAP4 client.  I believe Mr. Roberts
said he was dealing with POP3 accounts.  He should find out if the mail
server is IMAP4 capable before trying to use an IMAP4 client.

At 11:05 AM 6/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>What you really should be looking at is IMAP clients.  The popular POP mail
>client products, like Eudora, assume you want to download all the new
>messages to your hard drive and delete them off your mail server.
>
>IMAP can be configured to do the same thing, but where it really shines
>is the ability to only download during the session mail directories and
>message summary lines.  As you read each message it gets downloaded to
>the PC.  As you delete, reply and otherwise manipulate your message, the
>IMAP client will keep track of those changes.  When you logout, the IMAP
>client send al the updated activity to the server, such as deleting messages
>marking them as read, etc.  That way your mail always gets saved to one
>location.
>
>This approach means that you can read your mail via a host based client
>if you are on the road and can only telnet back to read mail. In your
>office you can read it form a PC with a graphic client.
>
>IMAP also allows one machine to be used my many people.  Since everything
>stays on the server, you don't need to worry about what mail others might
>read.
>
>Whether to use IMAP over POP is not a simple question, but you start your
>reading at http://www.imap.org.
>

>Tim

Jeff Cottingham
Technology Coordinator, Murray State University Library
email:  cottij02 at msumusik.mursuky.edu
Phone:  502-762-4773  Fax:  502-762-3736