IIS and 3.2 HTML

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Mon Jun 16 14:02:07 EDT 1997

Greetings:

Just read an article in Windows magazine (July 1997, NT Enterprise Edition,
Web Whacked) in which the author describes a problem he encounterd which
was seemingly caused by the inclusion of the
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"> tag inserted by Navigator
Gold 3.0 at the beginning of new documents he had just uploaded. He was
able to see the pages from inside the network, but any dial-up connections
would get the "Web site found, waiting for reply" message and never load
the page(s). He made all the normal checks; DNS, firwalls, router tables,
ISP tables, etc. The problem was only resolved when he removed the
offending tags.
	Apparently Microsoft states that IIS 2.0 and 3.0 only support HTML up to
version 3.0.
	We just migrated to IIS and I have been creating documents with HomeSite
2.5 and validating with WebTech. So far I have had no problems with this
but thought I would throw it out to the list to both inform and to see if
any others had heard of or experienced this problem.

Bob Long
Automation Assistant
Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.

Email: bob at esrl.lib.md.us