IETF / RFC / GNU filtering software / and Internet Accep

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jun 13 09:05:25 EDT 1997

     What a wonderful idea Brian! Can we call this ratings body the
     Ministry of Internet Information? Can we set up the Internet thought
     police? I suggest that this body be staffed by people from government
     and corporations. That way they could eliminate all those pesky
     grassroots sites like McSpotlight, which attempts to provide
     information on McDonalds. Also, we should put representatives from all
     the media moguls on it, like Newhouse and Murdoch's corp, in order to
     make sure the advantages in news providing that the corporations enjoy
     in print and TV extend into cyberspace. Wouldn't want anything
     deviating from the official line now would we?

     This is such a ludicrous idea. This is obviously proposed by somebody
     who has no interest in participatory democracy and free speech. We
     only have free speech when everybody has an ability to say something,
     free of any "official" filters. And what would constitute a
     "qualified" authority? What about those of us who want nothing to do
     with any of this, would deny the authority of any such body, and would
     want unfiltered access to the Internet? Would this standards body rate
     us against our will? Would this mean that a non-complying web site
     would get knocked of the information autobahn?

     This is quite scary, to be coming across a librarian list.

     Chuck