mailing document

Peter Green peter-g at boris.curtin.edu.au
Fri Jun 13 07:23:34 EDT 1997

Our solution to printing.

We have over 40 networked computers accessing a variety of information
sources, many of them via web interface. None of these are connected to
printers. Instead we have a couple of (non-networked) print workstations.
Users are required to download their material to floppy disk and print from
the print stations (or elsewhere, home, office etc). These workstations
have Word, Netscape, Acrobat reader and other software applications but no
network connections! This is an easy solution to printing from the
Internet. The document can be saved as source and then opened in our "dead"
Netscape print stations and printed.

Needless to say there are related problems including the availability of
floppy disks for the unprepared (we have a vending machine for such
stationary) and paying for the printing (we use our standard photocopy
resource cards). Users can also need some training in downloading and
printing!!

Cheers

Peter

At 2:55 PM -0000 6/12/97, karen        hartman wrote:
>We have instructions next to our Internet computers that explain to users
>how to e-mail Web pages and other documents to themselves.  It has
>worked out very well.  There is no problem with our students, but library
>users from the community, many of whom do not have e-mail, find it
>frustrating because we don't let them print from the Internet.  We're still
>trying to figure out how to provide them with this service without
>incurring too much cost (and hassle).
>
>Karen Hartman
>Mary Washington College

Peter Green
LISWeb Coordinator
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U 1987
Perth   Western Australia  6845
Ph + 618 9266 2439    Fax  +618 9266 3947
peter-g at boris.curtin.edu.au
http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/library/staffpages/pgreen.html

My opinions are my own!