B&N and Specialty Houses

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Thu Jun 12 15:38:51 EDT 1997

Isabel Danforth writes: (re amazon.com)
> Um.. so .. could a library work with them, and earn some $ to use for their
> book buying budget?  Or don't we go that 'commercial' route?

Yes, that seems like a possibility.  Some Oregon library managers and
board members in this region have discussed this possibility via
e-mail.  One simple tactic avoids the "commercial" taint.  That would be
to have the Friends of the Library have a home page, even on a private
ISP, with a link to it from the library's home page. Certainly
permissible, given the wide range of FOL activities. And to insure
fairness and non-favoritism, you could also link to whatever local book
dealers have a Web site.

But, as one of our e-mail correspondents noted, the FOL entry page could
boldly and obviously proclaim that "The Podunk Public FOL book fund gets
a ___% commission from any books purchased through this page." And any
other good stuff about building up a certain collection or service with
those funds. So those inclined to contribute would be encouraged to buy
via the FOL page. And the discount would definitely compete with local
dealers at list price.

Look at amazon.com's commission page closely, though.  As I recall, they
will pay commission on a title purchased from a list or bibliography
***posted by the library (or other pageowner).*** I don't think they pay
commissions on general purchases or on another title bought, even if you
entered directly from the library's page link. This essentially limits
it to topical coverage lists, or special interest pages.

Cheers,
-ernest

Ernest Perez//Oregon State Library//perez at opac.state.or.us//503-378-4243