Filtering Ad Nauseum

Dianne L Parham DZP at library.sannet.gov
Thu Jun 12 03:50:10 EDT 1997

PHILOSOPHY AGAIN.....NO TECHNOLOGY BELOW

I think we need to define our community.  We are not all schools on this
e-mail list.  It includes a wide range of schools but it also includes those
of us in the public library arena as well as special libraries.  The
problem with trying to discuss this is that what is true for an
elementary school library is not true for a university library which is
not true for a public library which is not true for a special library.
I think as a public library, we do have to take into consideration our
community's wants and needs.  We are dealing with individuals from
preschool to retirement and they should be taken into consideration in
any collection development, whether it is print, nonprint, or online.
What I personally see, and I speak for no one but myself, is that we are
trying to foce a "one size fits all" solution on a multi-faceted
problem.  We can all grandstand all we want, but the bottom line is how
to we meet the mission of serving our public.  Technology is only a
tool.  It isn't a problem and it isn't a solution, unless we make it so.
A human mind created the problem, and human minds are going to have to
come up with the solution, but it will not be the same solution depending
on the situation.  Which is why the human mind is a better filter than
all of your vaunted software...the mind and the mind alone is flexible
enough to adjust to changing needs and values.  Any filter you buy today
will be outdated and worthless tomorrow as something bigger, better, and
more restrictive is developed.  Do we all have unlimited
budgets to keep buying new filters, maintain them, upgrade them, add
staff for the care and feeding of them?  Maybe as a university you do.
As a public library, we don't.  Different strokes for different folks.
Technology doesn't exist in a vaccuum...it exists as part of a network
that humans, not computers, create.  Oh well....enough and more than
enough philsophy.  I would say now is a good time to buy stock in filter
companies and find a good lawyer.  The war will wage endlessly before it
dies a natural death...people will either accept imprisonment of their
minds, find a way to escape the jails we try to surround them with, or
tear the bars down.  It has been thus since time began when one thinking
being tried to stop the curiousity and intellectual exploration of another
thinking human being.  And I don't have to be a techno-whiz to figure that.
Back to the front line.  Dianne Parham, San Diego Public Library