Filtering: Theory into practice

Stephen Bero sbero at rml.alibrary.com
Thu Jun 12 09:05:36 EDT 1997

Theoretical issues are entirely appropriate to this list.  Form and content
are inseparable, so we will need to continually discuss both the how and
the why of using the Web for our libraries.

The Rolling Meadows Library will be installing filtering software soon,
most likely CyberPatrol using a proxy server.  I believe my library's
solution
to the dilemma facing us takes into account both sides of the debate for
and
against filtering.  As soon as we have completed our installation, I would
like to share with you all our solution, the how and the why of it.

A humble reminder: a dilemma is a situation where the only options
presenting themselves are equally unfavorable.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Stephen P. Bero
Reference and Technology Resources Librarian
Rolling Meadows Library
3110 Martin Lane
Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008-2698
Vox 847-259-6050 ext.137