Legal Filters

Thomas W. Perrin tperrin937 at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 11 21:30:08 EDT 1997

The point is, if you get sued, you lose, whether or not you prevail in
court.  The object of the game is not to get sued. Period. If you don't
understand that, you deserve the consequences.

If you want to incur the wrath of the taxpayers who ultimately foot the
legal bills, tie up your career in the courts, spend all your emotional
energy dealing with nitpicking lawyers, and trying to convince the world
you're right, then go right ahead, walk a tightrope.

I, for one, would rather devise a policy that distances the libary as
far from this scenario as possible. So far, it looks like filtering for
public libaries is not the answer to the dilemma that confronts us.  But
take a look at the hundred or so libraries that have posted their
electronic access policies on the web.  There is enough information
there to design a rational, fair, responsible policy that effectively
grasps both horns of the dilemma.

Thomas W. Perrin