Closing the filtering debate?

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Wed Jun 11 09:18:19 EDT 1997

  Ronnie Morgan wrote:>

>I really think this discussion needs to move from why we shouldn't
>implement filtering to how we can effectively filter.  Yeah, I know, a lot
>of you still disagree about filtering programs, but, at some point in the
>future, libraries are going to be forced into it.  Wouldn't it be better
>to have a plan of action when your city, county, state government or
>board, or whatever entity is in control of your library comes to inform
>you that you have to filter?  Yeah, sure, explain to them that it's
>censorship or whatever, but you'll still end up implementing a filtering
>program.

     Gee Ronnie, you haven't even seen the opposing forces but you've
     decided to start waving the white flag? There is no reason why this
     has to become an eventuality, in fact, I'm offended that a
     professional would think that filtering in libraries is a fait
     accompli. Have you ever heard of advocacy? Have you ever heard about
     ethics and the professional's responsibility to sat NO?

     I think we should have a little discussion of the history of the FBI
     and public libraries. If I remember correctly, there were some
     courageous bunheads who said NO to this powerful agency when it came
     around asking to snoop into patron records. Any historians here?

     I know that this isn't quite the same thing as the filtering
     phenomenon, but I think we should advocate for ideas such as open
     access to all, BEFORE we are coerced into installing censorware by
     some law.

>So, why don't we talk about how to do it the best possible way and not talk
>about why we shouldn't do it???

     Because those of you who favor filtering want those of us who oppose
     it to shut up. You want to close off debate so that it would appear
     that consensus has been reached in the library community. You are free
     to discuss, thanks to Roy, anything you want on this list (relating to
     web for libraries), but don't expect us to shut up. You talk about
     ways of implementing and we'll talk about ways of not implementing.

>I like David's idea, and although his vision is not attainable at this
>time, it may be that we have a representative from CyberPatrol (or some
>other software company) lurking in the back ground.  If this person see's
>that we (for once) agree on an idea, they may be able to get something in
>the works that meets what we are looking for.

     Representatives from the censorware companies do monitor this list --
     I've received email from them in the past. I'm sure they are very
     interested, not only because libraries are such a good market, but
     because libraries are a litmus test for how well filtering will be
     received in society as a whole.

     Chuck "Just say NO"