Electronic Brown Wrapper over my keyboard

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Tue Jun 10 16:39:39 EDT 1997

        My mouse vibrated as I approached the information. Closer and closer
it came, throbbing anxiously in my sweaty hand - and then, with a squeak, it
stopped; and the page began to load. Yes, I panted, yes yes. It was the home
page of the Lake Oswego Public Library, located at www.porn-pusher.com.
Then, luckily for my eyes, the filtering software kicked in and stopped me
from seeing Lake Oswego's Cyber=playmate of the Month. Pant pant pant.
Suddenly I feel sorta ILL...

>I respect Mr. Burt's desire to protect children, but one of the things that
>bothers me about this discussion is rather clearly demonstrated in this
>posting. And that is that Mr. Burt, like a judge watching sexually explicit
>films before ruling on what is or isn't pornography, obviously feels the
>need to spend a certain amount of time cruising these sites, so that he can
>be an informed censor. Am I the only one who senses a certain prurience in
>the continuing need to give examples of the kind of the site that is
>unacceptable, and in this case a rather explicit description provided by Mr.
>Burt?
>
>Charlie Crawford, TCC
>
>> Most everyone agrees that there is a clear difference between hard and
>> soft core porn.  We all draw a distinction between artsy B/W  picture of
>> nude women, and a picture of a nude woman with her legs spread, labia
>> on display, with a throbbing penis fast approaching.
>
>>As for ILL-ing Hustler, Mr. Burt
>>stated that libraries have the right to "not ILL" anything they deem
>>inappropriate based on their mission statement.  I do think you could
>>end up in court over that.
>
>Under what statute?
>
>  ***********************************************************
>          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
>          The Lake Oswego Public Library
>          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
>          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
>          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
>          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us

Steve "Pseudo-pornography-pusher" Hooley
 Stephen S. Hooley                "When the going gets
 Romulan Tech Support              weird, the weird

 Systems Group                     turn pro."

 Henderson Library                  -- Hunter S. Thompson

 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460     www2.gasou.edu/facstaff/hooleyss