Barnes and Noble snubs Lynx users

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 10 11:01:45 EDT 1997

I realize that the Barnes and Noble site is probably rife with complex
formatting (as well as simply bad code as Thomas Dowling points out), but
for those of us who limit our shenanigans to our splash page there is a
simple and easy solution -- redirection based on client type.

With a few lines of Perl you can shunt Lynx users to their very own page,
tailored to look good in Lynx (now *there's* a change!), while keeping
your weird image-based page for the graphical client users. That's what I
do on sunsite.berkeley.edu. Visit with a graphical browser, then come in
using Lynx and you should see what I mean. Good Web servers should be
able to use advanced features to a degree and yet degrade gracefully.
Does my site epitomize this? Not by a longshot, but the point is that I
try (and so should you), and when mistakes are pointed out to me (usually
by my good friend T. Dowling <grin>) I work to correct them. It sounds
like Barnes and Noble should do the same.

Roy Tennant