B&N and Specialty Houses

rhenning at fsc.follett.com rhenning at fsc.follett.com
Tue Jun 10 10:37:57 EDT 1997

 Thomas warns:

"Free standing, independent bookstores, such as my own, are out
of business. They hardly exist as a genre any more...Free
standing, independent publishers, without the independent
bookstores to buy from them, are also under even stronger
pressure...Barnes and Noble didn't enter web bookselling until
Amazon.com proved it could work...Don't ever expect a chain
bookstore to be responsive to your needs in the same way that
the free standing independent was."

I may be missing something, but isn't this a tailor-made web
opportunity for the independents?  From the bit I've seen,
Amazon's just an electronic mega mass merchant, no more capable
of expertly addressing a specific community's needs than a B&N.

"Web's good for the goose and good for the gander."

Russ
rhenning at fsc.follett.com

"whose opinions are etc., etc."