Barnes and Noble snubs Lynx users

Thomas W. Perrin tperrin937 at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 10 09:59:29 EDT 1997

Just a few thoughts on what's happening out there in bookland, largely
as a result of superstores like Barnes & Noble, and the like.

 Free standing, independent bookstores, such as my own, are out of
business. They hardly exist as a genre any more.  Those that remain are
under incredible stresses and strains. Ultimately, their owners will
find that there are easier and better ways to make a living and/or make
a social contribution.

 Free standing, independent publishers, without the independent
bookstores to buy from them, are also under even stronger pressure.
Just a few days ago, I received Firebrand Books' Fall 1997  catalog.  In
it, they ask for capital donations of $5,10, 25, $50 or more, just to
stay in business. Firebrand has been around for 12 years.

A decade or so ago, I purchased a number of bookcases from Paperback
Booksmith, in a mall location, which was going out of business.  I asked
the owner why he was leaving what was obviously a profitable business.
He replied that his lease was not renewed because a major bookstore
chain promised to put their stores in all the malls under the same
ownership as the one in question if the owners would not renew Paperback
Booksmith's lease.  That chain now owns one of the largest superstore
chains.

Publishers are consolidating at a record pace.  There are just fewer
publishers now then there were a decade ago.  That means fewer
opportunities for authors to get published.  One of the reasons that
there are fewer publishers is that there are fewer sales outlets for
their products.

While trying very hard not to act paranoid, it is very clear to me that
the owners of the major bookstore chains want to monopolize the
publishing and bookselling business in America today.  Were it not for
the internet and the web, this process could have been complete by the
year 2000.  Barnes and Noble didn't enter web bookselling until
Amazon.com proved it could work. (bear in mind that Amazon.com has yet
to make a profit)

  Don't ever expect a chain bookstore to be responsive to your needs in
the same way that the free standing independent was.  It's just a
different species of store.

Thomas W. Perrin