Neutrality of information

Bill Drew drewwe at morrisville.edu
Tue Jun 10 09:21:06 EDT 1997

Ingo wrote:

> Deirdre,
>
> I agree with and subscribe to every single word you wrote.
> Our work is consisting in giving information and information is absolutely
> neutral.

Information is never neutral.  Information and access to it is always in
some type of political/social context and therefore cannot be neutral.
Information and access to it is liberates the individual and therefore
is threatening to the small minded and to certain governments and
therefore cannot be neutral.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm