Barnes and Noble snubs Lynx users

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Mon Jun 9 13:20:12 EDT 1997

I know there are many on this list who think that web development should
not be limited to the restrictions of Lynx--the text-based web browser.
I can even understand that point of view in the context of knowing that
your site is targeted at users with graphical browsers.
After experience last week with the inability to get to the new Barnes
and Noble web site through 3 different Lynx installations ("Bad address
formation"), I sent them email.
They responded "Our site is not supported by Lynx browsers." I did point
out to them that Lynx is the only browser I can currently deliver to 50
public libraries near NYC using low bandwidth lines and dumb terminals,
and these libraries have a high interest in the B&N site.
I don't think they'll change unless they hear it from other users.

			Jerry Kuntz
			Ramapo Catskill Library System
			jkuntz at rcls.org
			A happy user of amazon.com