WYSIWYG Editor????

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jun 9 12:07:15 EDT 1997

 ----
From: Kathy Wheeler <kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Monday, June 09, 1997 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG Editor???? -Reply

>John Little wrote:
>>I'll put in a plug for AOLpress
>><http://www.aolpress.com/>, a freeware WYSIWYG editor that
>>runs on Mac, Windows (3.1 & 95/NT), and UNIX. The
>>documentation claims to support "HTML 3.2 and Netscape
>>Extensions:
>><snip>
>I also use AOLpress, but I rarely see it mentioned in any discussions of
>HTML editiors. I like it and find it easy to use and would recommend it
>others.

Jennifer Heise's original post in this thread was looking for a WYSIWYG
editor (I think the term "graphical editor" would be more appropriate for
HTML) that was standards-compliant.  AOLPress seems better than some other
editors I've run across, but its output does not completely comply with
standard HTML; you can still hang yourself--you just don't get as much rope
as you do with, say, Netscape Composer.

HoTMetaL Pro is the only HTML editor I've seen that claims to validate
against a DTD, which for my money is the definition of HTML standards
compliance.  A general-purpose SGML editor should handle the job also,
which puts WordPerfect 7 in the running (using its SGML editor; I don't
have such faith in its Internet Publisher function).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu