more on Internet censorship

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Mon Jun 9 12:23:39 EDT 1997

     German law is very strict in a number of areas we'd consider protected
     by the First Amendment.  The laws were passed after WWII - initially
     to keep ex-and-wannabe-Nazis from distributing their material.  There
     was/is a concern on the part of many in Germany that hate speech is
     dangerous.  Recent troubles - including the murders of Turkish workers
     and a general anger on the part of some toward non-Aryan peoples - has
     kept the issue alive.  Certain types of "speech" are banned regardless
     of how it is spread - and the laws do not single out the Internet
     while ignoring other methods.