Objection to endless censorship threads

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Jun 9 09:14:13 EDT 1997

     I can understand why some object to volume of messages caused by the
     ongoing flame war over filtering. But this is an issue which affects
     thousand of libraries and millions of library users. While I
     appreciate Brian setting up a listserv for this controversial topic, I
     still persoannly feel that web4lib is THE place to discuss this issue,
     since it is read by the greatest number of library professionals
     involved with the web.

     I think it would be a mistake to just discuss these matters on another
     list, because that would confirm the fallacy that technical decisions
     can be made without politics coming into the picture.

     I intend to continue posting my comments in this forum, although not
     as often and not in response to Mr. Burt. I'm also working on a
     filtering FAQ with some librarians and other net activists. If you'd
     like to contribute, drop me an email. I'll send out the URL when it is
     more ready for the masses.

     Chuck