Electronic Brown Wrapper: Hustler via ILL

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 05:14:30 EDT 1997

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Burt, David wrote:
> How often do patrons access hardcore porn from a public library
> terminal?  hundreds, maybe thousands of times a day.

If _a_ public library terminal is serving hundreds, maybe thousands, of
patrons with porn a day, that tends to imply that there is a large
community of users that want this information.  After all access to these
sorts of terminals is often by a limited number of booked time slots and
there's no way you can load hundreds of pages, let alone thousands, in
half an hour!  Which makes me ask why a large number of people are willing
to let another group of people (which may be large or may be small; in the
UK it seems pretty small but the US may be different) tell them what they
can and cannot see.

Then again, I'd be very surprised if a single public library terminal was
serving out thousands of porn documents per day.  Certainly when I've used
Internet access terminals in public libraries over here I've not seen any
porn being accessed.  Maybe I just go to atypical libraries or
something... :-)

Tatty bye,

Jim'll