Web Publisher 1.1 software -Reply

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Jun 6 15:35:00 EDT 1997

Earl Young writes:
     Microsoft products will do the job efficiently if your volume is low
     enough that you're not concerned with labor costs.  A major advantage
     of WebPublisher is that you can operate it in a batch mode.

It should be noted that it is fairly easy to automate many processes on
either PC or Macintosh.  For example, on a Mac (my personal platform of
choice) one can use AppleScript to easily set up a batch process that uses
MS Word to do format conversions on all files in a particular directory.  On
a PC I'd do the same thing using WordBasic (within word) or Visual Basic.

I continue to be surprised at the extent to which people assume that
mainframes and Unix systems are the only ones where one can automate one's
processes.

There's a learning curve, of course.  If you already know how to program in
REXX or the Bourne shell it may not make sense to learn AppleScript, and
vice versa.

One thing that is not widely available on Unix systems and mainframes is a
4GL for batch process automation comparable to the various graphical tools
for producing Visual Basic scripts.

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  E-mail: jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       voice: 1-541-346-1746
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          fax: 1-541-346-3485