audio files indexing

Asako Yoshida yoshida at prairie.nodak.edu
Fri Jun 6 13:22:36 EDT 1997

Dear colleagues:

We have a collection of videos which are archives of writer's conferences
hosted on campus at the University of North Dakota over the last 20 years.
Many notable writers visted
and engaged in frank and open discussions and dialogues on given
litrary, social, political or cultural topics and themes.  We want to make
audio files out of the video collection and make them available on the Net.

Has anyone attempted to index within a given audio file by subject or
other criteria?  At this point, we have some sense that we need to
combine current audio editing technology (edit, quality control, cut and
past, etc.) and manual traditional indexing.   Any leads to some similar
projects are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Asako Yoshida
Social Sciences Bibliographer/