FWD: My encounter with Bill Gates

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Jun 6 10:19:10 EDT 1997

Forwarded with permission of the author:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:34:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andy Carvin <acarvin at kudzu.cnidr.org>
To: wwwedu (wwwedu discussion), civtalk (civtalk list),
        LM_NET at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU (LM-NET List), EDTECH at MSU.EDU (edtech list)
Subject: My encounter with Bill Gates

An Encounter with The Man:
Bill Gates, Libraries, and a Momentary Redressing of Grievances

Yesterday I had the unexpected opportunity to see Microsoft chairman Bill
Gates speak at the MLK Memorial Library in Washington DC. I received word
earlier in the day from a friend who volunteered at the library that
Gates would be there to donate a dozen Pentium machines and a million
dollars for the implementation and upkeep of DC Public Library's public
access network. Just to be sure that I'd be able to attend, I contacted
Microsoft. I was informed that, sad to say, this was to be A Closed
Event.

A Closed Event. Music to my ears. I'd just get there a little early and
find a way to open it up.

30 minutes before the official event, I arrived at the library,
accompanied by Pete Neal of the Annenberg/CPB Project. The foyer to the
library was blocked by two tables, one labeled Guest and one labeled
Press. Normally, my instincts would be to push my luck and pretend I was
Press, but since it didn't occur to me to prepare some personal
credentials beforehand, I decided that I'd have to be a settle with being
a Guest.

Pete and I were greeted by two young library reps who smiled and said,
"Are you a guest?" I thought to myself that this was an odd question,
considering we were standing at the Guest Table. Then again, we weren't
really Guests, but I did not see an Intruders table or a check-in station
for Not-So-Important-Gatecrashers. So I put on my best Guest face and
replied, "We're with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting," and began
to look around as if everything were in order. One of the library
representatives began to skim what was clearly a list of registered
guests; a list that barring any miracles would have neither my nor Pete's
name on it. To avoid the embarrassment of having to admit we weren't
supposed to be there, I said in all honesty, "We were only notified of
the event rather late," to which they responded, "Well, you're probably
on the updated list coming later. Wait here."

So there we waited, watching as a dozen or so middle school students were
led through security, probably to engage Gates over the computers in some
kind of warm and fuzzy Photo Op. Darrell Green of the Washington Redskins
then walked in - why on earth was he here?, I thought. But after a while,
Pete and I started to wonder if this plan of ours was going to work. I
then saw Phil Shapiro of CTCNet DC at the back of the main lobby,
standing in rows of seats behind the cameras and flood lights. He
motioned to us that we should go back there - apparently, these were the
nosebleed seats, open to the public. Worse case scenario, we'd sit back
here, obstructed by the cameras, the lights, the reporters, observing the
event through a wide screen TV. If I knew the seats were going to be this
bad, I would have stayed at worked and watched the event over the Internet.

I was also somewhat disappointed because I had brought along a cheap
little digital camera to get a few shots of Gates. From back here, at
best I could get a picture of the wide screen TV. How appropriate.  So I
approached one of the event organizers, told him I was "Andy Carvin,
CPB," and asked if there was a better place for me to sit or stand in
order to get some pictures for the Internet. At first, he wasn't very
helpful, but eventually, he pointed up front, right by the podium and
said, "sit wherever there isn't a Reserved sign on a chair." Bingo. I
thought of Bob Eucker as we shimmied our way up to the front row...

Well, the forth row, to be exact, since those middle school kids were
occupying much of the closest seats. Time passed, and the real Guests
began to arrive - the library's board of trustees, the DC City Council
and Control Board, and finally Mayor Marion Barry. I guess it was time or
the show to get under way.

After brief remarks from an executive of the library, she introduced
Darrell Green, who spoke about how computers had opened up a new world
for his son, and how he "looked forward to working with Microsoft in the
future." Hmm. Then a young man from the middle school had his moment in
the spotlight as he explained to us how the Internet made homework and
research for school so much easier. He also liked all of the websites
that gave him tips for video games - that got a big laugh from the crowd.

Then, Gates got up and spoke. He noted how when he was growing up, there
was no technological resource that would allow him to learn and read
about the subjects that interested him. All he had was books, and the
only place he could go to immerse himself in knowledge was the local
library. Today, our collective body of knowledge goes beyond what could
be contained physically in any given library - the Internet, therefore,
opens up a seemingly infinite cache of information that was previously
unreachable. And with only six percent of households making less than
$25,000 a year owning a computer (compared to over fifty percent of
households making over $50,000 a year), the library remains the one place
where any person no matter his or her economic status may come and get
the knowledge they seek. Therefore, Internet access in all libraries was
a must.

Though I was a bit skeptical about how well one million dollars could be
spread out over an entire urban library district, the gesture in itself
seemed to get a lot of people excited. I mean, this was Bill Gates,
coming to DC and getting our kids online. Who could argue with that? So I
clapped when others clapped, and felt satisfied that the District was
finally catching up, especially as a community that so desperately needed
it.

After Gates' comments, the library exec returned to the podium and said,
"We have a few minutes for a couple of questions." Questions from the
audience? Oh yes, this was a press conference. Surely people would have
questions. But surprisingly, the opportunity for questions was directed
at the general audience, since the press had had their chance to talk
with Gates in private interviews before the public session. So I thought
to myself, here is an opportunity to confront Bill Gates. To quiz Bill
Gates. To challenge Bill Gates. But what on earth would I ask him? It
felt like I was playing a game:

Q: If you could ask Bill Gates a question - only one question - what
would it be?
A: Uh........Umm......

I was dumbstruck. There had to be something I could ask him without
sounding like a complete idiot. So I motioned to the woman with the
roaming microphone as if to say, "My turn next, I have a whopper of a
question." She had already handed off the mic to a student, so that gave
me a minute or two to stall. "One more question," a voice near the podium
announced - his handlers probably wanted him to get on to the next event.
It appeared I was going to miss my chance for that question, but
suddenly, I felt a cold metal tube shoved in my chest. The last question
was to be mine.

Q: Mr. Gates, there's been a lot of hype over the last couple of years
about the Internet, especially in terms of using the medium as a tool for
reaching out a great distances, to meet and interact with people. But I'm
curious to know what your thoughts are on using the Net to reach people
_right in front of you_, right in your own communities and neighborhoods.
What is the role of the Internet as a tool for community enhancement?

Gates paused and thought for a moment. Marion Barry looked up as soon as
he heard the word Community, to see who was asking the question. After
what felt like an eternity to me (perhaps two or three seconds), Gates
responded to my question.

At first, Gates' words disappointed me, because he began to focus on how
the Net is indeed a marvelous medium for reaching out across the country
and the world, to interact with folks you might otherwise never meet. But
then, as it seemed he was going to ignore the thrust of my question, he
continued. He remarked on how college campuses have reacted to the
Internet: As some of the first public institutions to take advantage of
the Net, universities were often wired to the hilt, with access in
classrooms, libraries and dorms. In turn, the proliferation of
infrastructure made it easier for students and faculty to have access to
the Internet, and to thus use it as a tool for instruction, for
organizing local events, for hosting activist meetings. The campus
infrastructure had achieved the critical mass needed for an engaged and
technologically literate online community. This, he said, should be a
model for our other communities, such as towns and neighborhoods. The
greater the participation, the greater the community, and the public
library as a hub for that participation was a great start.

He continued by describing how the Internet can be used to eliminate
local bureaucracies and increase communication efficiencies between the
government and its citizenry. For example, if a person needed a permit
for adding an extension to their house, instead of having to run around
town from office to office, trying to find the right forms and
signatures, he or she could log on, search the zoning and permits
database and register their permit in the comfort of home.

At this point, another voice droned in over the PA system and said,
"That's all the time we have today - thank you all for coming. And thank
you, Bill Gates and Darrell Green..." If she hadn't spoken up, I think
Gates would have continued on the subject for a bit longer. But either
way, Bill Gates had answered my question, as extemporaneous as it was, in
what appeared to be a thoughtful and unrehearsed manner. I was pleased by
that.

At the end of June, I'll be heading off to Seattle for the National
Educational Computing Conference. As luck would have it, Bill Gates is
speaking as the keynote. I'm sure there will be another Few Minutes for
Questions at that gathering as well. That gives me three weeks to prepare
for my follow-up.

Until then,

ac

ps - to see a few pics of the event, check out
http://edweb.cnidr.org/gates.jpg
http://edweb.cnidr.org/gates2.jpg

Andy Carvin
WWWEDU Coordinator and Moderator
acarvin at kudzu.cnidr.org
 Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
 than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
 Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
 your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
 Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
                                       |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
      ~~William Faulkner~~             |      732-932-0305 x114