Electronic Brown Wrappers in special libraries

Gilbert, Richard A RAGilbert at ems.jsc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 6 10:05:59 EDT 1997

>----------

In a government setting, using the web for personal or entertainment
purposes is a misuse of government property.  (Viewing pornography will
get you fired.)  To my knowledge, filtering is not an option being
considered either by the libraries or by management.

It is clear that in both a corporate and government setting, the misuse
of computing facilities (i.e. money) is a concern.  Censorship or
filtering in these types of special libraries could be implemented at
any time as a policy, and I doubt that the librarians would have much
choice in the matter.