Electronic Brown Wrappers in special libraries

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jun 6 09:14:49 EDT 1997

     David Burt opined:
>I was wondering when someone in a very specialized library was going to
>say that!
>Why in the world should a biomedical library feel obligated to use its
>scarce resources to  provide recreational information?

>The anti-filtering activists argue that one size of Internet access must
>fit every library.

I don't remember anybody saying that. Putting words into our mouths
again, huh David? Speaking for myself, I can certainly understand why a
special library would want to restrict things. Most of my arguments about
filtering concerns PUBLIC libraries, which are supposed to serve the
ENTIRE geographical community in which they are located. It could be
argued that undergraduate and graduate libraries in universities would
want to provide unfiltered access on general principles, but that is
another discussion.

>Who thinks that's fair?

     I don't.

>My hunch is that the anti-filterers will oppose this too, since it might
>set off a dreaded "slippery slope", and would make you into one of those
>evil censors.  So I guess you'd better get used to your new mission(s) ;

David, you are guilty of comparing apples and oranges. This is the first
time we've discussed special libraries and I think many would agree that
they are different case than public libraries.

What do the special librarians think?

I've gotten web burns from the slippery slope. It would do David some good,
to personally experience being censored.

Chuck