Help about Microsoft PowerPoint -Reply

Walt Howe walthowe at delphi.com
Tue Jun 3 16:18:35 EDT 1997

At 08:51 AM 6/3/97 -0700, Dan Lester wrote:
>I've not carefully checked that version of PowerPoint, but I'll
>bet that MS, like many others, is moving away from .gif files
>once and for all.  As many are aware, there is a significant
>copyright and licensing issue here, and has been for a
>couple of years since the status of the .gif format was
>settled.  From what I can see, there is NO reason to not
>convert all your web images to .jpg, since the last several
>versions of all the browsers support them.  In addition, the
>files are smaller and you don't have to worry about being
>sued on licensing.

Dan, I have to disagree with you on a couple of your statements above. JPEG
files are only smaller than GIFs with photographs or pictures with a
continuos range of shading. GIFs are smaller with limited, solid colors and
straight lines. GIFs are best for text art, cartoons, line art, and poster
art. Alternatives to GIF without the copyright problem (which only affects
software publishers, not users) are on the way, but it will take a while
before standards are adopted and browsers support them.

See my article on "How to Create Small, Fast-Loading Graphics for Web
Pages" at http://www.delphi.com/pubweb/gg1.html

    Walt  <http://people.delphi.com/walthowe>