Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Tue Jun 3 09:15:03 EDT 1997

I received seven responses to my query on restricting library
intranets to staff use.  Many thanks to all who responded!  From
the number of requests I received for a summary of the responses,
I know there are others who are are grateful as well.

I identified four basic approaches to www site authentication or
restriction among the responses:

	Approach	# of responses
	--------	--------------
	Passwords		2
	managed by
	www server

	Novell login		1

	Toplogy/IP 		2
	(e.g. with
	firewall)

	IP authentication 	2
	by server

Here are slightly more detailed summaries of the individual
as well:

	-Password protection of of relevant directories of www
	 site;

	-Password protection of relevant directories of www site;
 	 require that subscriptions to intranet discussion lists
	 come to the intranet manager/librarian to prevent
	 outsiders from subscribing;

	-Novell-based: no www server, pages are served as files
	 from mapped drives on Novell server, with rights assigned
	 according to login;

	-Topology & IP: separate public & administrative nets,
	 packet-filtering router between them; www server
	 also has interfaces on each network but doesn't
	 forward IP packets; admin www site served only
	 through interface on admin side;

	-Topology & IP: server behind a firewall that lets only
	 specific IP addresses through;

	-IP authentication by www server for some (not many)
	 pages; doesn't publicize address; discourages
	 robots (presumably with robots.txt);

	-IP authetication by server; LISTSERV(R) software has
	 various ways to restrict access to mailing lists;

Mark Ellis, Peter Murray, and Dan Lester posted their responses to
the list as well, so the full text of their responses is available
through the archive.

Interesting services mentioned in responses as being offered via intranet:

	-Trial software packages;
	-shared hotlists and bookmark lists;
	-committee minutes;
	-staff training handouts;
	-schedules;
	-job descriptions Libraries;
	-staff directory;
	-library policies;
	-hints for software programs;
	-links to on- and off-campus databases;
	-various tips and in-house FAQs;
	-webbed access to databases for keyword
	 searches;
	-webbed chat board

I hope others will contribute their experiences with intranets
as time goes on.  I plan on doing so.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Network Services Librarian
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002