"Metering" Database Access on the Web -Reply

kay mary kaym at laurel.humboldt.edu
Sun Jun 1 09:43:00 EDT 1997

Dan Lester wrote:

> I'm amazed that any database provider is controlling your
> access with logins and/or passwords these days.  They (and
> you) will find that they get passed around so quickly on the
> net that soon none of your folks will be able to get on, as all
> of them are being used by people in some other part of the
> world.

On the contrary, unfortunately, I'm seeing a sudden proliferation of
logins being used on web-based databases and therefore of the needs to
somehow script these.  Individual electronic journals and newspapers are being
distributed via password, for example consider NYTimes, Academe Today, and
Science.  And there are other sorts of passworded and important library
applications such as the web-based databases from Yankee and BNA.  Even
index vendors are not all using IP-address authorization, consider
Cambridge.  That is why I asked a week or so ago how people are handling
access to these services.  I've yet to hear of any server-based
solutions to this problem (I hope that is that correct term!).  Since
libraries are a small part of the publisher's market in many cases I'm
not sure there is an incentive to change the ways of distribution, so I
think libraries need to be able to implement a solution at their end.

Thanks very much for all the useful information this morning, Dan.  I
hope your fertile brain will proffer an answer to this problem!

Mary Kay
Humboldt State University Library