Java applications

steinkel steinkel at carlisle-emh2.army.mil
Mon Jun 23 15:03:10 EDT 1997

     I have found two impressive (to me at least) Java applications:  one
     professional; the other personal.

     Altavista has an interesting application that creates a keyword map
     from documents relevant to a query.  This map can then be used to
     refine the query.  I found it to be quite interesting in its concept
     and execution, though I still didn't find what I was looking for.
     Available at www.altavista.digital.com

     There is a backgammon program called Motif, available through
     www.bkgm.com/motif.html, that plays a pretty good game, and even keeps
     score from one session to another through the use of logins.  I still
     like it even though I cuss at it now and then.

     I have only this morning heard about an interesting application
     available from the U.S. National Imagery and Mapping Agency
     (www.nima.mil) that apparently allows searching for maps from a
     Java-enabled globe.  I haven't had a chance to look at it yet myself.

     Good luck,
     Leland J. Steinke
     Assistant Director for Systems
     U.S. Army Military History Institute