Quick and Dirty Survey

Louis Rosenfeld lou at argus-inc.com
Mon Jun 23 15:06:49 EDT 1997

(apologies for cross-posting)

The Argus Clearinghouse (www.clearinghouse.net) is a directory of external
sites, each of which is a guide to Internet resources on a particular
topic (think of our site as the Yahoo of topical guides to the Internet).
When we completed the site's makeover in April, we implemented what we
felt was a very non-intrusive frameset for displaying external guide
sites, with the small, top frame serving to help users navigate back to
the Clearinghouse's other guides, and the large, bottom frame used to
display the guides themselves.  For an example of how things work now,
check:
www.clearinghouse.net/cgi-bin/chadmin/viewframe/Health___Medicine/medicine_and_medical_services/medicine?1660

Not surprisingly, users aren't nuts about this implementation.  So we'll
soon be dispensing with the frames approach, and doing something
different.  Hence, this quick and dirty survey...

We're wondering what you think of what we see as the two major alternatives
to frames:  launching a separate browser window when a user clicks on an
external link, or simply showing the guide in the current browser.

Please tell us what you think by choosing an option:

[  ] Better to launch the guide in a separate browser window.
[  ] Just go straight to the guide within the same browser window.

If you have other suggestions or comments, please also let us know. Thanks
for your help!

Louis Rosenfeld                                             lou at argus-inc.com
Argus Associates, Inc.                                   http://argus-inc.com
109 Catherine Street                                   voice: +1.313.913.0010
Ann Arbor, MI  48104  USA                                fax: +1.313.213.8082

"Web Architect" monthly in Web Review magazine:      http://www.webreview.com