IPL 1997 Workshops: Virtual Reference and Collection Development

Nettie Lagace lagace at umich.edu
Tue Jun 17 11:42:57 EDT 1997

News from the Internet Public Library, http://www.ipl.org/
Feel free to repost.

IPL 1997 Workshops:

Virtual Reference and Collection Development at the Internet Public Library
July 28-30, August 4-6, August 11-13
Ann Arbor, Michigan

The IPL is pleased to be a part of the series of institutes presented this
summer by the School of Information here at the University of Michigan.

Our workshops this year will focus on two related themes:

  *  the development and maintenance of collections using networked
     resources, and
  *  using networked resources to provide reference services to patrons.

In addition, we will discuss timely topics such as patrons and filtering,
Dublin Core and Warwick Framework, integration of existing services with
Internet resources, and analysis of Internet search engines and
strategies.

Last year's workshop was successful and a lot of fun, and we are very much
looking forward to another terrific experience this summer.

Each institute is a specialized, 2 1/2 day program for librarians and
information professionals. Those who are interested in using Internet-
based information resources to better serve their users or integrating
these resources more easily into their current environment will benefit
from these institutes.

Participants will begin with a common session discussing the nature of
Internet-based resources, current trends in their development and use, and
their impact on the information professional. We will follow with two
parallel tracks specifically dedicated to user services and collections.

The REFERENCE track focuses on methods of and issues involved in setting
up an Internet-based service, soliciting and refining user queries,
strategies for using Internet resources in responding to queries,
education of users, policies, evaluation of resources, and integration
with traditional services.

The COLLECTIONS track focuses on the evaluation, selection, organization,
design, and management and maintenance of collections of Internet
resources, similarities and differences to print and other digital
collections, integration with traditional collections, and related issues
(e.g., censorship policies and access restrictions).

Both tracks will feature instruction and guidance from staff members of
the Internet Public Library and guest speakers. We will have substantial
time for hands-on exploration and development and the opportunity to
create collaborative relationships with others grappling with similar
issues.

The July 28-30 workshop will focus on public libraries, the August 4-6
workshop will focus on academic libraries; the August 11-13 workshop is an
opportunity for librarians of all types to join us. Each workshop is $350.

More information on registration and other details is available online at
http://www.si.umich.edu/hp/institutes/dtk/issues.html

the Internet Public Library - = - http://www.ipl.org/ - = - ipl at ipl.org