Name for Subject Sites

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Mon Jun 2 18:45:26 EDT 1997

>If "subject" is a problem, would "topic trees" work?  Not to be
>confused with topiary shrubs, of course.  :-)

Wouldn't work for us and our customers (which includes pretty much every
Netscape server, Lotus Notes, etc.) -- we've had a knowledge representation
structure called a "topic tree" for many years.  We're building software to
automate many aspects of capturing, constructing, browsing and searching
such structures... and we're scratching our heads about what to call them.
"Taxonomies" is the one word we use most often.  "Catalogs" is a
possibility.

But there's another problem with this division of resources.  What happens
when a "subject tree" is tightly integrated with full-text search?  That's
going to happen quickly, creating a resources that's more powerful than
either one alone.

Nick