Do people "pass by" plain-text sites?

Lisa ljm at bf.rmit.edu.au
Thu Jul 31 11:06:19 EDT 1997

> > Here's a question for the list:
> >
> > Would you use Lynx or Netscape/MSIE in a demonstration to management where
> > you were trying to obtain more money for your library's web efforts?
>
> I would be very surprised if anyone would use Lynx unless it was for a
> grant to disabled access.

Actually I use Lynx as my primary browser.  RMIT University provides
access to the internet to students via their modem, but only through using
lynx.  The alternative is to pay around A$5 per hour to an ISP and use a
graphical browser, so for the 30,000 odd students its primarily a choice
of economics.

As an information professional, Lynx loads sites much more quickly than
say Netscape or Explorer so offers an efficient use of time.

However there are several sites (primarily frame and/or graphical only
pages) that Lynx cannot cope with, so it is far from perfect.

Lisa McDonald