Search engines to search homepages

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Wed Jul 30 11:49:55 EDT 1997

Bill Drew wrote:

> How would I go about creating a form that searches Alta Vista but is
> restricted to searching just in the domain of our webpages?
>
> I knwo how do restrict it using:
>
> +host:www.morrisville.edu
>
> but would like to create a formm that would not require that to be typed
> in.
>
> I would like to do the same thing for other search engines such as
> Yahoo, Excite, etc.  Hotbot tells how to do it for their system.
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
> Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
> LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
> SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm
> Support the anti-Spam amendment: Join at http://www.cauce.org/
> --
Bill:
	Acqweb has the Alta Vista set up similar to what you're talking about.
Point to:
	http://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/law/acqs/awsearch.html
and view their HTML source.
	I can't say that I would recommend this for a site that changes much (I
wouldn't trust it for LibraryLand; we're installing SWISH-E on our
server instead); I don't think Alta Vista does a very good job of
revisting and reindexing sites, even when requested to do so. Plus
you're taking people away from your web site to Alta Vista'a for the
search result (free advertising space for them!). Bottom line is we'd
only use it if installing a search engine wasn't an option.
				Jerry Kuntz
				Ramapo Catskill Library System
				jkuntz at rcls.org