To Set Up A Chat Room? -Reply

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Wed Jul 30 06:29:42 EDT 1997

Dan Lester wrote:

> Spend $59.95 on _Building Your Own Web Conferences_
> from O'Reilly.  It includes the CD for WebBoard 2.0, and is
> easy to set up, configure, etc.  We love it.  It works
> seamlessly with WebSite, but also says it works equally well
> with other servers, though their setups naturally have more
> steps.   We've run it on NT4 and 95 both.

I'll second Dan's recommendation.  WebBoard actually comes with it's own
internal server software which O'Reilly recommends as the best option,
so even if you are running your current server on Unix, if you've got a
spare 486 or pentium on which can be put on your network and given an IP
address, you can still set it up.  I experimented with it intially on an
old 486 with windows 95 and though performance wasn't lightning fast, it
wasn't too bad.  It impressed our Engineering Dept. enough that they
gave me the go ahead to purchase the extended license for $300.00 (if
you're just interested in one chat room, then the basic license which
comes with the book/CD combo is more than sufficient - and you can
always upgrade if you need to.)

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Library Supervisor